Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Mission: Yarn

I began this trip with a few goals. I'll give you the short list:

--Visit Machu Picchu
-- Eat guinea pig
-- See a llama
-- Do not catch dystentery
-- Don't die
-- Buy some alpaca wool yarn

I'm doing pretty well on that list thus far, considering we've only been here for ten days. Today, however, I began the search for the last item on that list---alpaca wool yarn. I've found one place thus far that sells it, Sol Alpaca, in the Plaza de Armas. It's a very Americanized, high-end touristy shop that retails alpaca products, including various colours and weights of yarn. The prices run as follows:

30/S. for 100grams of 10-weight yarn.
15.50/S. for 50 grams of 7 weight yarn.
37/S. for 100 grams of 10 weight yarn, multicolor.

That works out to about 10, 5 and 12 dollars US, respectively, per skein. The yarn is 80% baby alpaca and 20% sheep wool. This is guaranteed, as Sol Alpaca is a respected chain brand.

HOWEVER, I have it on a tip that there is a yarn shop located somewhere around the Plaza de San Francisco with dirt cheap prices and skeins of assorted colours and content (from synthetics to wools). I am going there tomorrow, and will hopefully gloriously return with many, many balls of yarn for an as-of-yet unidentified project.

I'm having a better day than yesterday, comparatively speaking. I'm still depressed and ready to get out of this country. I really don't know how I'm going to manage the next eighteen days, but I don't have much choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment