Monday, June 20, 2011

The Short Road to Cusco

Today began in a panic. It was about 12 AM. I stayed up all night since we had to leave the Casa de Baraybar at 3 AM, and had just returned to my room after a video chat with Eric to plug my laptop in. It was a little low on juice and I wanted to watch a few episodes of South Park to pass the time.

I plugged it in and went to the bathroom, when I returned, I noticed the screen was dim. Odd, I thought, but not impossible. This laptop is known for flights of screen dimming and brightening fantasy. I checked the power meter. No dice. It wasn't charging. I checked the laptop charger. The normally bright blue light on the power brick that indicates it has electricity surging through it was... off. No other colour... just unlit. Period.

I panicked. I looked quickly to my laptop's charge meter to see how long I had left before the battery died---an hour and fifteen minutes. OKAY, I thought to myself. I can order a charger and have it ultra priority shipped to the hotel in Cusco, maybe have it by the end of the week, even. Yes, my mania went so far as to find an 80 dollar international four-day shipping fee acceptable. Necessary, even. I NEED THIS INTERNET, I reasoned. I will stop at nothing to keep this computer powered!

As it turns out, no electronics websites on the entirety of the internet ship to Peru. I was getting desperate. I googled electronics stores in Cusco. Again, no dice. I was near tears. My frantic googling turned up few options aside from buying an ENTIRE NEW LAPTOP. And I was fully prepared to do this!

I tried a few more electronic devices to see if perhaps it was just my surge protector that was busted---no, it was the laptop charger only. My phone and camera both worked just fine. I was feeling defeated, beaten... only a week into the trip and this disaster had occurred. I mournfully tried in one last, feeble attempt to plug the laptop charger into the surge protector, and the surge protector into the wall.

It... it worked?

That blue light is the soothing colour of
happiness.


Yes. Yes it did. The bright blue light flickered on. I plugged my laptop in... and it's charging. Right now, it's charging. I still don't know what happened. I can't explain it. Perhaps Pachamama was warning me---she isn't going to give me dysentery, but she will fry my electronics.

But all that aside, today was a good first day in Cusco. It is everything that I imagined Peru to be. Where Lima was modern and a little ugly, even, Cusco has that Andean charm that I think people imagine when they think of this country.

On the plane this morning (which was a lovely flight---LAN knows their business), this was my first view of the Andes, rising up out of the cloud cover:

Ignore the plane engine, there. Just enjoy the Andes.
We landed in Cusco, greeted by a fairly frosty 50 degree Fahrenheit airport. There isn't any heat or air in the buildings in Peru, mind you. Fortunately I was properly bundled up and ambled onto our tour bus (which was AWESOME) and left for our hotel--- Hotel Tambo. (http://www.hoteltambo.com/)

I only managed one decent picture on the way to the hotel. It's of a statue near the centre of town, depicting the Inca leader Pachacuti.



When we arrive at the hotel I was so worn out, I immediately went to my room, unpacked, and fell asleep on my nice, toasty bed. (The beds here are much more comfortable than those at Casa de Baraybar, and the blankets are thick enough that I think the lack of heat in the building won't even matter).

I awoke at about 1PM, still feeling good (the altitude doesn't seem to be affecting me at all. I haven't had any shortness of breath or headaches like some people have), and left for lunch. We went to an Italian restaurant that's only a few blocks away called the Trattoria Adriono. It was DELICIOUS. I had the fettucine alfredo and my companion, Hillary, had the gnocchi. It was the best Italian food I've ever had, I believe. And it was in Peru. Here is the restaurant. It's quite cute.


And here is the gelato that Hillary and I got. Mine was chocolate chip, hers was strawberry shortcake.

These were about 5/S. each, which is about $1.60 US.
I apologise for my scary face. I was tired!
After our lunch (which came out to about 12 dollars US for each of us, including drinks), we ventured out into the streets of Cusco. This city is so beautiful. Instead of explaining, I will show you:

Fountain at San Francisco Park.

The church at San Francisco Park, which was built in the 1600's.

The same church, from the front.

A view of the Plaza de Armas, the cathedral and the Andean skyline
beyond as viewed from the top of a pedestrian-only road nearby.

The backside of the cathedral and one of the parade floats from today's
parade.

The cathedral in Plaza de Armas and another float!

A street musician. Yes, we gave him some coins.

Another busy street leading to the Plaza de Armas.

The Plaza de Armas.

And again!

Andean skyline!

Yet another church!
Where Lima has sacrificed it's quaint Peruvian charm for Western modernity, Cusco has seemed to remain staunchly old-school. The roads are still cobble, the sidewalks are almost non-existent, the architecture is almost entirely Spanish colonial, and there is an enormous percentage of people here in traditional dress.

Speaking of traditional dress, here is a picture of me with a baby alpaca. That's right. I held it. And he was cuuuuuuute.

I'm now sitting in our hotel, typing this from underneath an alpaca wool blanket that I bought, while wearing my alpaca wool socks. Yes, I made a shopping trip today. More pictures of those things tomorrow, si?

Oh, before I go... here is what I was greeted with when I arrived at the hotel. It's one of the things Cusco is most famous for! Coca! This is both the tea and the chewable leaves. They're bitter and leave your tongue numb, but you sleep like a BABY. It's great!




Love,
-B

2 comments:

  1. OMG... The baby Alpaca is wearing a HAT. I just want to squeeze it!

    This place looks gorgeous- Can't wait to see your other posts from Cusco! Oh, I forgot to mention it before- You should buy a fan for me if you see a super cheap one. =D I'd love to have one from Peru.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally on the lookout for fans. I can't find any yet, but if I do, I will buy immediately.

    I did remember your fan request!

    ReplyDelete